In an ever globalizing world, the importance of learning a foreign language can hardly be exaggerated. With this in mind, since 2011 the Department of European Studies has expanded the opportunities of learning foreign languages both to the student body of Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) and to the general public through the establishment of the Centre for Foreign Languages (CFL).
The Centre has the vision of developing quality learning programmes in foreign languages within the higher education landscape of India. It also aims to integrate a strong research component with regards to the teaching and learning of foreign languages in the Indian context and ensure a strong focus on cultural activities, so as to foster intercultural exchange and knowledge sharing.
- Certificate courses in German, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese and Mandarin
- Courses are aligned along international teaching and learning frameworks such as the CEFR, JLPT, or TOCFL
- About 1500 students have acquired varying levels of foreign language proficiency (A1-B1 levels)
- Provides exciting opportunities to young native speakers interested in foreign language teaching in India
- Cultural activities: Weekly film screenings, language workshops, annual Kinotheka (European Film Festival)
- courses are conducted by the native speakers who are well trained in language
Partnerships and Collaborations
Since 2010, DES shares a unique partnership with the Alliance Française de Bangalore, which has a full-fledged in-house annex (Chapter) within the department and assures French language courses and cultural activities across different institutions at Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), making Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE) the only place in India with such an institutional collaboration.
Other partners involved in the Centre’s activities include University of Salzburg, University of Castilla-La-Mancha, University of Milano, and the National Tsing Hua University (Taiwan). The Centre is keen to provide various opportunities for collaboration and partnership with language centres, cultural institutes, and universities, both in India and abroad.
The following projects are significant with regards to the Centre’s future activities:
- BA programme in Foreign Languages and Intercultural Studies, starting 2017
- Cultural Centre: hosting artistes, organization of regular events (concerts, film/ literature festivals, workshops etc.)
- Research Unit to enhance the knowledge base of foreign language teaching and learning in India
- Translation and Interpretation services
- Comprehensive Documentation Centre and Higher Education Information Services
Click here for Brochure: brochure-cfl